June 6, 2009

Nowhere else in this Universe could this happen quite this way.

I took this picture during my family reunion trip to New Mexico in April 2008. It is looking down an alley in the Old Town section of Albuquerque near the Bed and Breakfast where my cousin Linda Hall generously hosted my daughters and I. 

I treasure this shot for one simple reason: I don't believe this convergence of objects could come together unselfconsciously anywhere else in the world. 

There is a green plastic watering can upended on the left, an example of 70's cabinetry that could only exist in NM, two plain Tiffany-style lamp shades and a wheel barrow, all framed by an old adobe-brick border wall with a built-in cross. And don't leave out the dusty ground. This dust accounts for the whole state basically eschewing carpet and going for tile floors anywhere there is a doorway to the outside. 

I'll be honest and admit that I thought I hated Albuquerque until this trip. It just takes a tour around any town with people that know to turn you on to a place. This picture is my photo ID that proves I was there, like an FBI fingerprint. 

1 comment:

Dirty Tuba said...

You forgot the brutal sunshine, its not complete without the brutal sunshine.