May 6, 2009

About the foto: "Birth of The Edroom"

    When my maternal Grandmother Marie Chauncey died in 2000 at age 89,  she left my sister Jenna and I an amazing collection of color slides taken in the 60’s that we had never seen before. This one shows me at around Kindergarten age in my room on Riverside Drive NY holding my first album, “Burl Ives Sings For Fun”.

     I still have the album; it has occupied the first position of my LP record collection since its earliest inception, (and is followed closely by the worn copy of “Meet The Beatles” that my Dad brought me from his NY public radio station WRVR the following year). The chair peeking out behind me is a vintage wood/iron school chair that later became the perfect guitar-playing chair due to its height and position, and remains in my music studio to this day.

    (When I get my geek act together I will straighten the foto into portrait mode using this blog software). 

3 comments:

Carmen Borgia said...

I like the photo sideways, it's a nice perspective.

My pal John Pavlik is obsessed, to an unhealthy degree, with Burl Ives. He finds any mention of Burl Ives, or Burl, or Ives, or any slight passing reference to anything that might be related to any lyric or song title of Burl Ives' to be a darkly hilarious omen of the hidden order of things. So, it's good to see Burl in a key role here.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

I once saw and heard Burl Ives perform, while on a school field trip growing up in Orange County, CA. I didn't know who he was before that, but he has always been this sort of legend from a different era ever since.