May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

One time I was eating at a restaurant in New Mexico with my Mom and we had this very good tortilla soup. I remarked that it was better than anything store-bought and wished I could get it at home. Mom sipped the soup with her eyes closed and jotted down the recipe below off the top of her head. I soon made it and it came out perfect; people who have had it ask me for it all the time, (even my boss who was raised in Hong Kong. He seems to prefer Chinese food over everything, so I get a kick out of his unexpected enthusiasm). If you're really into it you can substitute fresh ingredients for each canned item listed, (and if you do, let me know how it turns out). 


Ed Ford Summerfield’s family’s

Tortilla Soup recipe

 

Start by cooking 6 or more chicken thighs in salted boiling water. Include the skin for the best broth, then remove the skin when boning for soup.

 

Combine in separate large pot:

Texas Style Ranch beans (1 can)

Caribbean black beans (1 can)

Diced green chilies (1 little can)

Tomato sauce (1 large can)

4-5 Fresh diced tomatoes

Salsa, your favorite kind,

(We like mild Southwestern chunky style)

Red chili oil (less than 10 drops for mild, but don’t skip this)

 

Cook soup on low heat while chicken is cooking in separate pot, then when chicken is done, bone and combine with soup. Add some of the broth until desired thickness is achieved. 

 

 

1)Crunch Tortilla chips in empty bowl

2)Add Tortilla Soup

3)Top with grated cheese

 

Enjoy!

No comments: